Pmw dialogs - very slow

Rob Hooft rob at hooft.net
Mon Jul 31 06:00:20 EDT 2000

 >> The dialog frame appears very fast but it takes between 1 and 2
 >> seconds to display the contents! [...] Is there a possibilty to
 >> speed this up?

 GM> My experiments have shown that this has something to do with the
 GM> sequence of function calls in the setgeometryanddeiconify()
 GM> function in the file PmwBase.py. I'm not sure if I have found the
 GM> "correct" sequences yet, but I could get rid of the symptoms for
 GM> the unix branch by moving the final "window.tkraise()" from the
 GM> last line up to just below the "else:".

Hmm.. You can also change window managers. I understood this delay in
the tkraise call is a strange interaction between Tk and the WM. I
have seen it in Enlightenment, and it is one of the reasons I went
back to fvwm2. I discouraged the use of Gnome for a while to all
customers that asked me....

Regards,

Rob

--