Discussion: new operators for numerical computation

Travis Oliphant olipt at mayo.edu
Sat Jul 22 12:32:48 EDT 2000

> And while we're pondering reimplementaions, it might be cool to move
> as much non-performance-critical code as feasible up into a Python
> layer to ease synchronization between [C/J/IL?/???]Numeric.  The top
> layer would be shared, and only the core would be in whichever
> low-level language.

This is exactly what I'm doing right now with the help of about 2 other
people (whomever wants to help is welcome to join us).  It's called numpy2
and is available on the CVS tree at SourceForge under the same module
name in the Numeric project.

Quite a few of the details are already fleshed out.  We need some C coders
at this point.

-Travis