Win32 : Making script.py executable in DOS box

Remco Gerlich scarblac-spamtrap at pino.selwerd.nl
Tue Jul 4 09:15:50 EDT 2000

Neo Brave wrote in comp.lang.python:
> In article <WzI75.5714$Tb7.31718 at news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
>   "Mark Hammond" <MarkH at ActiveState.com> wrote:
> > Under Windows NT or Win2k, you can use the PATHEXT environment
> > variable. Simply add ".py" to the semi-colon sep'd list of
> > extensions, and off you go!
>
> Great, thats a help for NT, but I also want to do this on Win98 :-).

There is another trick (originally by Bruce Eckel). Name your Python
file ".bat" instead of ".py" and use the following hack:

@echo off
rem = """
rem Run python on this bat file. Needs the full path where
rem you keep your Python files. The -x causes Python to skip the first
rem line of the file:
python -x c:\python\\"%0".bat %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
goto endofpython
rem """

# The Python program goes here:

print "hello, python"

# For the end of the batch file:

rem = """
:endofpython
rem """

Or just make a .bat file that goes with your .py file and calls python
for it...

Remco Gerlich,  scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
  3:12pm  up 120 days,  3:25,  5 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.29, 0.20