Helpme "Corrupt installation detected"

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Mon Dec 18 22:20:15 EST 2000

[posted & mailed]

[Teet Tarno]
> I have a dumb problem for all you nice people out there.

And we have a dumb answer, I'm afraid.  Thanks for the clear explanation of
the problem!

> One day I downloaded the Beopen-Python-2.0.exe and tried to install
> it on W95. Well, I ran the installer and it ran out of diskspace. No,
> not the 18M install, but FAT16 and 1800 (a lot) files. I used
> Quarterdeck's Cleansweep, uninstalled the thing, freed some more
> space and now when I try to run it, it does nothing and simply says :
> "Corrupt installation detected" and exits.
> To the best of my knowledge, Cleansweep should have removed all
> traces of the install (HD, *.ini, registry). I did search in the
> registry and took a quick look around the disk. Nothing seemingly
> left.

It probably did -- the install isn't very fancy (for example, it doesn't
create or modify any .ini files, or indeed *any* files except under the
\Python20 tree, plus a DLL in the System directory).

> Where does the BeOpen installer save the info about the failed
> installation ?

It doesn't.  Well, there was an install.log file created under \Python20,
but that's probably gone now.

> I could download the installer again, but 5M over slow modem is not
> THAT much fun. But if it has to Be...

I'm afraid it has to be.  The "corrupt installation" msg comes from the
installer scanning *itself* and getting a bad checksum.  The .exe file
itself is corrupted now.  It's a bad idea to run out of disk space on Win95
<wink>.

the-good-news-is-it-will-work-next-time-ly y'rs  - tim