new bitwise module [was Re: Discussion: new operators ...]

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Tue Aug 1 21:55:55 EDT 2000

"Aahz Maruch" <aahz at netcom.com> wrote in message
news:8m7s74$1b2$1 at slb7.atl.mindspring.net...
> Well, I have a feeling that bit operators are out of place in core
> Python, especially if long ints become standard.  I'm pretty strongly
> behind this.

All bitwise operators except ~ (which could be redefined as ~a = a ^
0xffffffff, with strange but predictable results for a > 0xffffffff) still
make sense for long integers.  They are certainly more useful to me than,
say, floating point numbers (which I despise).

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware action/role-playing games      -      http://rainerdeyke.com