CGI to make PNG image

Andre van Straaten andre at UltraShell.Net
Thu Aug 17 19:30:36 EDT 2000

Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
> "Andre van Straaten" <andre at UltraShell.Net> wrote in message
> news:lMWm5.93944$iI5.1501434 at news-west.usenetserver.com...
>     [snip]
>     [snip]
>> http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngapbr.html

> Apparently what it says here is that MSIE can't do alpha blending (except
> on the Mac) -- it only does on/off transparency.  Ok, but you aren't going
> to get any better than that with GIF's anyway, so why change PNGs into
> GIFs...?  Further, "no real alpha blending" seems a far sight from "can't
> read at all" -- how does bad support for one advanced feature become
> total lack of support for a whole format...?

I don't know. I can only repeat that MSIE5.0 couldn't read the png image on my homepage nor on the
original fetchmail site. But Netscape on the same Win95 box could.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find again the Web site which supported my experience.

-- avs

Andre van Straaten
http://www.vanstraatensoft.com
flames please to /dev/null at vanstraatensoft.com