website python engine (slashdot)

Sam Penrose see at message.body
Wed Aug 9 01:17:56 EDT 2000

In article <etdhf8vimj0.fsf at w20-575-115.mit.edu>, Alex
<cut_me_out at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I was wondering if anyone is interested in helping me write a html
> > website engine (or whatever you call it) based on the slashdot code
> > written in perl that websites such as http://www.deadly.org and
> > http://www.slashdot.org
>
> Have you seen squishdot.org, which is based on Zope?  That will give you
> almost the same results.
>
> Alex.

Everyone and their grandmother seems to be working on a slightly
different Python web application/publishing environment. A few
observations:

1) It isn't hard. Heck, even I'm doing it.

2) Except for Zope, most of these projects seem to be one-man
operations, despite the fact that the projects are mostly open source
and the authors trying to recruit help.

3) The first two points together suggest that Python (with the standard
library included) is all the common code base anyone needs.

4) It also suggests that a year from now something very different will
be going on. If all of us feel the need to work on this but none of us
is quite satisfied with what anyone else is doing, it suggests that none
of us is coming up with a very good answer. Since most of us are pretty
smart (present writer excepted), that in turn suggests that we aren't
going to get an answer until we reformulate the question. What are we
missing here, folks? I have a hunch we're all going to be wishing we'd
thought of it whenever it finally arrives...

--
spenrose at well dot com