Newbie: text filtering.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk
Mon Aug 7 12:03:23 EDT 2000

Aesop wrote:
> How could I go about say searching for the ".pdf", then working
> backwards to find the start of the word?

One approach would be to use regular expressions.

import re
match = re.search('\.pdf',line)
start = match.regs[0][0]	# position of the '.' within line
while line[start] != ' ':	# assume no spaces in filename!
    start = start - 1		# decrement index

filename = line[start+1:match.regs[0][1]] # extract file name.

A starter maybe?

Alan G.