creating compressed tarfiles

Jeff Bauer jbauer at rubic.com
Tue Aug 22 18:26:57 EDT 2000

Tw wrote:
> How can I create compressed tarfiles, ie. lots of files inside a
> compressed file, using either the tarlib.py or tar.py ( found in Zope
> ) and gzip and/or zlib?
>
> I need examples.
>
> It must run on both windows and Linux, so preferrably no
> os.system-stuff.

I responded directly to Tw, but for the record I use
Jim Fulton's tar.py.  IIRC, it's not documented in the
Zope distribution, but it's pretty easy to use.  Download
Zope from http://www.zope.org.

An example of building a test.tgz archive from files
listed on the command line:

    if __name__ == '__main__':
        files = sys.argv[1:]
        archive = tgzarchive('test')