Reuse Py Modules twixt Linux & Windoze?

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Sun Aug 27 14:31:49 EDT 2000

Thanks for the quick reply.

>one possible stumbling block: i'm unsure how your particular version of
>Mandrake Linux does the automounting of vfat partitions. i'm assuming it
>uses mount and fstab like any other filesystem, because that's the sensible
>way. but if it uses some sort of automounting daemon, i'm out of my depth.

Yeah, it appears to use /etc/fstab, which looks like this:

$ cat fstab.txt
/dev/hdc2 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom2 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat user,exec,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdc5 /mnt/win_c2 vfat user,exec,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat user,exec,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat user,exec,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda7 /mnt/win_f vfat user,exec,umask=0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc3 swap swap defaults 0 0

I modified line 7 to look like this:

/dev/hdc5 /mnt/win_c2 vfat user,exec,umask=0 0 0,conv=auto 0 0

but Linux choked on that, said line 7 was bad.  Maybe I should
go umask=auto 0 0 (pure guesswork at work -- could be dangerous
I realize, time to do some homework).

I think you've definitely pointed me in a promising direction,
and I see this is more a Linux thread than a comp.lang.python
thread -- so I'll move to a Linux ns and follow-up, reporting
back if I get a fix.

Kirby