Questions for Guido van Rossum (Was: ...Tim Peters)

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Mon Aug 7 18:00:12 EDT 2000

[Aahz]
> Thing is, if you don't put up such a sign, and the public makes a path
> across your property, eventually the public gains the right forever to
> pass across your property at that point.  There's a legal term for this,
> but I don't remember what it is right now.

[Grant Edwards]
> An easement?

Na, Right of Passage.  That's what's great about the civilizing effects of
The Law.  In the olden days, young men used to have to go starve in the
woods until a spirit arrived and helped them kill an animal bigger than they
were, while the young women sat in a hut knitting in shame (or something
like that -- I can only speak for the young man side of things from direct
personal experience).  Now the Right of Passage has been reduced to taking a
diagonal across your neighbor's lawn.  Much less messy all around, the young
men no longer get eaten, and the young women have been relieved of shame.

still-have-my-python's-skin-hanging-on-the-wall-ly y'rs  - tim