Using Python to extend Msdev (Visual C++)

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Tue Aug 8 16:16:54 EDT 2000

"Syver Enstad" <syver.enstad at sensewave.com> wrote in message
news:8mpjt4$mmm$1 at troll.powertech.no...
> Anybody have any experience with using Python for macros in MSDEV. Or is
it
> imposible to use anything but VBScript?

I _think_ (no first-hand knowledge!) that 'macros' for MSDEV are
textfiles it stuffs to VBScript willy-nilly, alas.

However, I think one could get a very similar effect by
developing an *add-in* for MSDEV that will connect to Python
(maybe via ActiveScripting/ScriptControl) and just act as
a go-between (probably no more than establishing initial
connection would be necessary).  A slightly round-about
process, but shouldn't be _too_ hard using the wizards...
and I think you only need to do it once (if one can figure
out a neat way to communicate at runtime to the add-in the
name of the .py file to load and to which to delegate
events &c -- I can't think of an elegant way right now,
but there's gotta be one...).

Alex