are there any tutorials that someone completly new to programming can understand?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Aug 5 22:11:56 EDT 2000

[gbp]

> **** Logo:  A fun little langauge that has a built in graphics engine.
> This is often used to teach kids but unlike basic it is actually a good
> language.

Not so good.  It may be easily written, but often uneasy to re-read.
LOGO is an attempt at a mini-LISP without parentheses, so users have
to remember how many arguments each function accept, for being able to
mind-insert missing parentheses to decipher a program.  And even then,
for variable number of arguments and such things, they had to re-insert
parenthetical devices, the result was a bit bastardised, in my opinion.

Note that my main experience with LOGO is with the MIT original, which was
used in Papert laboratories.  I did not follow what later happened to the
language.  It might have evolved, or be cleaned out better.  I do not know.

Python might look a bit more difficult than LOGO, but it is definitely
clearer to me.  I would not think children would be extremely rebuked by
the differences (and even case sensitivity, whatever studies may say :-).