link users and fortran program through WEB

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 24 01:28:44 EDT 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:55:01 GMT, lizliao at yahoo.com declaimed the
following in comp.lang.python:

> I work for a big corporate where there are many heritage programs
> (fortran). I like to collect input from web and run the fortran exe on
> the web server (window 95 OS) and then return the output in HTML format.
> Is python equipped to do that? As of now in python prompt, I cannot even
> invoke the fortran exe. This is what I did:
> import os.path
> execv ("path/.exe")

	os.system() or one of the popen calls?

	Question is if the web server somehow blocks spawning
subtasks... (Can you tell I'm hypothesizing with no actual experience?)

	First; does the FORTRAN program use stdin/stdout or expect data
files?

	If stdout then a popen call may be the best means (I'm sure
there is one that does both input and output streams). os.system() if
data files (create a .bat file with proper file setup for the FORTRAN
and which runs it)... Not sure if os.system waits for completion --
which you would need.