reducing fractions

dannyboy at here.com dannyboy at here.com
Tue Aug 15 22:30:59 EDT 2000

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:35:02 GMT, "Greg Scott" <home at gregscott.com>
wrote:

>Factors? We don't need no steenking Factors!
>Pardon me while I indulge my propensity for a rant:
>1. Explain the concept. Then have them write a computer program to do it. If
>they can do it, they'll learn something. If not, they might also.

Nonsense.  THE fundamental concept with fractions is that m/n = am/an.
To understand that one must see factors of numerator and denominator.

Write a computer program to do what they do not yet understand
....how?  More nonsense.

>2. Don't bother. The average man on the street barely understands prime
>numbers and factoring, or doesn't really understand it at all. So just
>concentrate on survival skills. Teach them to use a calculator and use
>decimals. Forget fractions.

More nonsense.  How then will they deal with rational expressions in
algebra without a knowledge of the process with numbers?

>I've been doing database design for years,
>and I still don't grok all of the laws of database normalization. Sometimes
>I do, sometimes I don't.

Imagine what you could do if you did!!

>Above all, have fun.

Provided that "fun" does not replace real learning ...which it most
time does.  Replace "fun" with "enjoyment"  of what you do and you
have it though.

>8. I home schooled my kids.

Then gave up and sent them to a real school.

There is one HELL of a difference between tutoring a kid or two at
home in early grades, and tutoring an entire differentiated class for
their entire school career.  You are obviously just playing at it.
The techniques you describe *might* fit your home where you have a
rapt audience of one or two.  They will most definitely NOT work in
the real world of the classrooom.

Dan.

submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math at sd28.bc.ca
private e-mail to the k12.ed.math moderator: kem-moderator at thinkspot.net