scripting language newbie - compatibility

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Wed Aug 2 14:20:42 EDT 2000

In article <QnZh5.35704$NS3.3082323 at news.chello.at>, Kurt Aistinger wrote:

>I recently decided to learn a scripting language like perl, tcl
>or python and can't decide which I should choose.

I've used all three (albiet Tcl and Perl only briefly before I
switched to somethign else).  I would recommend Python.  I
think it's much easier to learn.

>Someone told me that perl is source-compatible, you can take
>the source from unix, copy it to windows and it runs, which is
>reallly cool I think. Nevertheless, I think that programs in
>python are easier to read and to understand and that they're
>shorter, which makes it more sympathic to me. are
>python-programs source-compatible, too?

In general, yes -- unless you use a library module that's only
available for certain platforms.  For example, if you use the
win32com module to do COM object stuff, your program won't run
on Unix or MacOS.

The module reference shows which platforms support each module,
so you know ahead of time if you're doing something non-portable.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  If I pull this SWITCH
                                  at               I'll be RITA HAYWORTH!! Or