some comments for Python 3000 - my requests

Pat McCann thisis at bboogguusss.org
Mon Aug 14 14:22:14 EDT 2000

I'd just like my languages to have a simple syntax change (maybe it
could even support the old one too for old code):

EVERY DECLARATION BEGINS WITH THE NAME OF THE THING BEING DECLARED,
so the name isn't burried in a mess of pre- and post-qualifiers.  I
wonder how much time has been wasted by people searching the whole
width of a page for declarations when a scan up the left could have
been sufficient.

I have thought about it hardly at all, but one approach would be to
just start every declaration with "identifier =".  That is, there
are no declarations, just object creations. (eg, id = class (...))

New topic =>

Another thing I've always wanted in a language is the ability to
control better what things happen when.  Specifically, I'd like
to be able to have some code run at compile time, perhaps to
build a table that would be used at real run time.

Maybe related to that is better ability to have any code within
declarations, not just X = 3 * 4, and the ability to control
whether that code is run at compile time, first use time, or
every call.  (If I sound confused, I may be. It's been a while.)