gratuitous new features in 2.0

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Aug 26 12:01:26 EDT 2000

[Grant Edwards]

> Personally, I don't understand why "print" exists at all.

I never use `print' in programs, but I find it quite useful as a debugging
statement.  In fact, I blindly delete (or comment out :-) all `print'
statements once a Python program is ready.  It is also useful in interactive
use, because interactive use is nothing more than an aspect of debugging[1].

[1] Isn't the ITS (incompatible time-sharing) system that had no interactive
shell, besides the debugger?  The theory was that a mere idea is a bugged
program.  So, you use debugging facilities to patch and "correct" the
empty program into something that will (eventually) work!  Of course, any
debugger worth its name ought to have comprehensive editing facilities :-)