Thread limits?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun Aug 20 13:54:43 EDT 2000

[Makhno]
> Windows 98 can bearly manage more than one thread,

Sure it can.  Threads are one thing even Windows 95 did exceptionally
well -- MS is good at threads!  There are typically more than 100 threads
running on my Win98 laptop while just browsing the web and reading email.
It easily tolerates several times that many, too, although if they're all
resource-intensive in some way, then of course they bog down:  the CPU can
do only one thing at a time.

> and 1000 threads is far too much for anything but the latest most
> expensive multithread server-end machine.

It depends on a lot on what the threads are doing, although:

> Rethink your problem.

Indeed yes.  If our friend wants each thread to do something besides just
exit <wink>, a design with that many threads is going to disappoint.