some comments for Python 3000

sturman sturman at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Aug 14 01:09:23 EDT 2000

First let me say I have never programmed in Python but have wandered to
this newsgroup in the hope of learning.  I have programmed in Perl
though.

I think you ARE being paranoid.  Look at this from a different angle.
Was there an O'Reilly book for Perl 1.x?  No.  But there is one for
Python 1.x.

If I may make an analogy...
Before you shove Python in the coffin, let it get all of the way out of
the womb.

So what if Perl betters itself with 6.0.  When do you think 6.0 will
come out?  If they are really going to do a full rewrite then I would
guess 2002 at the earliest.  So what if it borrows from other languages,
I think that would only bring attention to those other languages.

In another post you talk about new programmers only wanting to learn one
language.  I don't know any programmer new or old that WANTS to learn
ONLY ONE language.  If they do, then they will quickly find themselves
being very unmarketable.

You have to realize that there are different tools that suit the given
task better than others.  For example, why would I want to write a C
program to rename a bunch of files in a directory when I can write a for
loop on the command line in whatever shell I am using and save that to a
file?  And more often than not, you will find that the acceptance/use of
a tool is mostly convincing somebody in charge of the money that this is
the tool to go with.  So chill out and let evolution take it's course.

sturman