Licensing Status of Python 1.5

Mike Fletcher mfletch at tpresence.com
Wed Aug 16 18:29:49 EDT 2000

<assurance type=non-lawyer,unpaid,usenet post,good lord why would you listen
to this!>

If I release something with a notice saying "hey, this stuff's free for the
using, here's the license", then later say "hey, I know you've just spent 10
years working on this project, but, that's not a valid license, and we're
withholding licensing from you", common sense (not big in legal circles, I
know) would seem to say "sue the jerk for bait-and-switch or fraud or
whatever the current legal phrase is".  A judge who allows that kind of
stuff is likely still a little too connected to the law-for-law's sake state
of mind to be sitting on a bench.

Of course, the lawyers might claim that some loophole isn't covered (there's
lots in the BSD license), but if your lawyers are happy with what it
purports to allow you to do, then accept it and be willing to sue if anyone
tries to take away those apparently granted rights and invalidate your work.
You'd likely find that OpenSource.org or the like might be interested in
helping you fight a legal challenge that effectively screws up licensing on
thousands of packages, multiple operating systems, etceteras.

That said, it's always possible a judge might declare the BSD/Python license
invalid, and thereby leave it up to the copyright holders to re-issue (or
withhold if they prefer) the licenses on _everything_ covered by those
license.  That'd be a pretty seriously warped ruling IMO.

</assurance>

The point in adversarial law is to let people act like selfish,
narrowly-aware children concerned solely with their own welfare.  Judges are
expected to act as adults, arbitrating between the children's demands for
validation and reward, and balancing those demands with the good of society
as a whole.

The point of computer programming is to teach infinitely dumb creatures to
be intelligent companions and helpers.

The point of design is to satisfy the physical, mental, emotional and
spiritual needs of the client, be that client the artist themselves, a
paying customer, the general public, an abstract idea, or a deity.

The point of Python is the bottom of a big boot.

The point of balance is the eye of the storm.

The point of love is the unseen armature of society's convoluted orbits.

It's impolite to point.

Enjoy all,
Mike
And here I'd thought I'd avoid responding to this issue...