PYTHON IS CRAP

Vadim Chugunov chega_ at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 17:32:01 EDT 2000

"François Pinard" <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message
news:oqaeeey532.fsf at titan.progiciels-bpi.ca...
> Don't misjudge me.  Every language I learned required a lot of work
overall.
> Even Python.  Maybe you can get the overall feeling of a language in one
> day, and the all essential details in one week, it still takes months to
> develop something that resembles a style, and becoming able to segregate
> between good and wrong habits.  To really get the beginnings of a deeper
> culture, you should count a few years, for _any_ language.
>
> This is why I consider so important to select and learn at least one
> language well, than a lot of languages superficially.  Such investments
> also explain why people make religions of languages, it is not easy to
> take a few years of life, and work and sweat, and throw these overboard.

I disagree with you here.  Those years will NOT be thrown overboard.  Only a
small portion of that experience will be language-specific, the rest is a
general programming culture which is applicable to any language.  That
experience will allow you to get started on your second language much
quicker that the first time.  After four or five iterations you'll be able
to write programs in about any language in a couple of days spent with
syntax/library reference book.

> [1] Before C and Perl and Scheme, I did a lot of Pascal and LISP, and
before
> that, FORTRAN and COMPASS (both CPU and PPU), and Balm, and Snobol, Cobol,
> Algol, APL, and surely a few others that do not pop to my mind (I keep
> forgetting what I do).  To some extent, I lost an incredible amount of
time.
> I sometimes wish I found something like Python when I was younger :-).

I guess I should have used the past tense above. :-)

Vadim