Addressing schemes (Re: Perl is worse! (was: Python is Wierd!))

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at midway.uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 4 11:51:46 EDT 2000

Andrew Dalke <dalke at acm.org> wrote:
>Grant Edwards wrote:
>>The 100 per block
>>scheme is handy because many cities have numbered streets in
>>one direction (or sometimes both), and you know that an address
>>of 14xx is between 14th Street and 15th Street.  Except in St.
>>Paul, where the numbers go up 50 per block.  Usually.
>
>As I recall, In Salt Lake City, Utah, the streets are numbered on
>a cartesian grid centered on the LDS Temple.  You can be driving
>down the street, not even at a block end, and the numbers change
>to the next 100 because that's how far away you are.  Makes for easy
>navigation, I'm told.

    Chicago has a somewhat similar system.  All numbered streets
are E/W, named streets are usually N/S.  All addresses north of
madison have a N in them (e.g. 100 N Michigan), conversely all
addresses south of madison have S.  A similar convention holds
for E/W and State street.  And most roads are E/W or N/S and have
8 blocks to a mile.

Suchandra S. Thapa
s-thapa at uchicago.edu