Python not that wierd

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Thu Aug 3 05:13:17 EDT 2000

"Steve Lamb" <grey at despair.rpglink.com> wrote in message
news:slrn8oh7np.n9u.grey at teleute.rpglink.com...
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:03:38 +0200, Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
> >matcher1=re.compile('foo').match
> >matcher2=re.compile('^foo').search
> >defined in the same place, and you can change them together if needed.
>
>     And do something twice!?  ;)

What thing is being done twice?  There is just one expression to edit.
I'm binding both matcher1 and matcher2 above just to show you how
to do it, of course -- there would be no reason to have both.

> >Original RQ did work in multiples of 5%, with 20-sided dice, but it
> >was soon changed into 1%-granularity with 100-sided dice.  That was
> >around 1977, or maybe 1978, I'm not sure.
>
>     Well, I didn't mean round to the nearest 5%, I meant the nearest 1%
which
> happened to be 5% (4.8%).

But where does one stop the rounding?  Me, I was most happy with
Pendragon's mechanics (D20 throughout for probabilities), but many
RQ'ers loved the finer-grained 1% probabilities -- and enough of
them pined for 0.1% granularity.  Rounding is sure to bring grumbles
whenever you have a 4.5% to round -- up or down?  Either way some
player will feel cheated:-).

[No, I don't really understand this, any more than  I can see the
fascination of a boargame/wargame like Tobruk, with a zillion
dice throws for each shot your cannon fires, but, clearly, there ARE
people who love this minutious approach in the gaming world].

Alex