[Slightly OT] Python COM & VB

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Mon Aug 21 08:23:01 EDT 2000

"Scott" <kain at dynup.net> wrote in message
news:FzLy4I.AAJ at boss.cs.ohiou.edu...
> Hi all,
>
> I am writing some Python COM servers to wrap some of my Python code and
> creating a GUI for it in VB.  I'm noticing a problem that while developing
> my VB code if I make a change in the Python COM code I have to restart VB
> before it will use the new code.  I'm sure this is not a Python problem,
but
> perhaps someone who has ventured into this area could enlighten me as to
how
> I can make VB not do that?

The Visual Basic development environment caches all of the
in-process servers that are being used by the code under
development.  Sometimes closing the VB *project* and opening
it again (rather than closing then reopening the whole dev't
environment) may suffice to clear/reload the cache, but it
normally doesn't; you may be luckier if your COM server is
out-of-process ("local"), assuming you can force it to close
up shop by other means (but don't count on it).

Alex