Still no new license -- but draft text available

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Mon Aug 21 03:40:27 EDT 2000

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> John W. Eaton wrote:
>
> [quotes from GPL preamble]
>
> >Note the first sentence.  ``... we are referring to FREEDOM, not PRICE.''
>
> Ah yes. Richard Stallman says "Think free speech, not free beer". But most
> Copylefters quite explicitly think "free beer".

You know, Gordon, this whole nutty "free beer" thing fascinates me.  Why
"free beer"?--why not "free lollipops" or "free hip replacements"?

Could it be that for youthful idealist, "free beer" is the ultimate
ideal? <wink>

> It's a disingeneous
> statement anyway, since "free speech" refers to the right to make
> statements that make others uncomfortable without getting thrown in jail.

Yup.

> >No need to reply.  By now I think I've heard all the arguments a
> >thousand and two times.

(Kindda makes you wonder why he wants to get involved, don't it. ;-)

> Just can't let Grant think he's the only one with more than a couple brain
> cells left ;-).

I somtimes used to think that in comp.lang.perl.misc...but here?--never!

free-beer-and-a-couple-of-brain-cells-is-a-bad-combination-<wink>
   -ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com