Functional Programming in Python

Wesley J. Chun wesc at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 04:11:49 EDT 2000

In article <v0422080ab5b4bec5cd6d@[209.252.32.160]>,
  Ted Goranson <tedg at sirius-beta.com> wrote:

> Is anyone doing any functional programming in Python? I understand
> there was quite a push to add lamdba capabilities some years back. I
> know the Norvig paper on Python and Lisp, but that's beside the point.

Python is not a "pure" functional programming language per se(see
Michael's and Neel's previous comments), but it does have a lambda
statement as well as apply(), map(), filter(), and reduce() functions
with which to do *some* pseudo functional programming-type tasks.

hope this adds a little more'ly y'rs,

-wesley

"Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall PTR, TBP Fall 2000
    http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0130260363.html

Python Books:   http://www.softpro.com/languages-python.html

wesley.j.chun :: wesc at yahoo.com
cyberweb.consulting :: silicon.valley, ca
http://www.roadkill.com/~wesc/cyberweb/

--
* "Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall PTR, TBP Fall 2000
* wesley.j.chun :: cyberweb.consulting :: silicon.valley, ca

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.