Compiling Python under CYGWIN

jurgen.defurne at philips.com jurgen.defurne at philips.com
Thu Aug 24 03:16:06 EDT 2000

Armin at Steinhoff_de.python.org@SMTP at python.org on 23/08/2000 13:52:24
Sent by:	python-list-admin at python.org
To:	python-list at python.org@SMTP
cc:
Subject:	Re: Compiling Python under CYGWIN
Classification:	Restricted

Hello,

do you have plans to offer your port to the public ??

Regards

Armin

In article <0056900010961732000002L022*@MHS>, jurgen.defurne at philips.com says...

>Hello,
>
>I have been able to compile Python 1.5.2 with the Cygwin tools (latest =
>release).
>
>Unfortunately, the support for all mathematics is broken. I can use Pyt=
>hon, but when I
>try to use mathematics functions (like sqrt, exp, ...) I an exception '=
>math range error' is
>raised.
>
>Does anyone have an idea how this could come, and what the remedy would=
> be ?
>
>Jurgen=

It is not really a port. Here is what I have done :
-> Extract the the tar file, as you would do on a *nix system
-> ./configure
  (Running configure as above will DISABLE thread support, Cygwin pthreads is still not complete)
-> Edit the top level makefile so that the line 'EXE=' becomes 'EXE=.exe'
-> Edit the Modules/Makefile, for the same reason
-> copy Modules/Setup.in to Modules/Setup
-> If you have installed the GNU readline library under CYGWIN, you can include readline support by
uncommentng the line 'readline' in Modules/Setup and changing it :
   'readline ... ... -I/usr/local/include'

It could be that Modules/Makefile can only be changed after make stops with an error, because
python can not be moved.

Just type make, then make test

( I have now installed Cygwin 1.1.4, but I still get math range errors, I must absolutely go to a Cygwin mailing list)

Jurgen