Is Python moving too fast? (was Re: Is python commercializationazing? ...)

David root at 127.0.0.1
Sun Aug 27 21:37:07 EDT 2000

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 18:31:22 -0400, "Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com>
wrote:

>[Skip Montanaro]
>>     1.  For the first time in it's 10+ year history, the
>>         language actually has a team of programmers led by
>>         Guido whose full-time job is to work on the language.
>
>[David]
>> I'm going to be exceedingly crass here, and suggest that when your
>> full-time job is to work on the language, you're rather forced to make
>> changes for the sake of changes, because otherwise you won't have a job.
>
>There always was, and always will be, more real work to be done than can be
>accomplished.
>
>speaking-of-which-my-traitorous-stomach-insists-i-waste-time-eating-
>    now<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

And now that I've ruffled a bunch of feathers (five, at last count), I'll
apologize for being so crass.

I'd like to end this particular thread with a few comments/explanations:

1. I really, *really* like Python and want it to succeed wildly.  This
means I care about it, and means that I'm going to be sticking in my two
bits whenever I feel that things might happen that can harm it.

2. I'm disappointed that the dozens of messages protesting the "print >>"
concept do not appear to be taken seriously.  It's as if the core
developers have all made up their minds, and the intelligent
counter-arguments, alternatives and concerns of us revolting peasants
aren't being taken into consideration.  We're not bitching about it because
we want to be pains in the ass: we're bitching about it because we truly
want the best for Python.

3. My real hope is that I've goaded y'all developer-like-people to be
really aware of conflict of interest sorts of issues.  Dunno if you needed
the goading but, hey, like I said: I care about Python.

4. I hope I didn't offend too deeply, and I really do worship at your feet.
I'm thankful and grateful and all-too-pleased for getting to use Python.

not-having-a-witticism-for-you-ly, me.