gratuitous new features in 2.0

Neil Schemenauer nascheme at enme.ucalgary.ca
Thu Aug 24 19:57:05 EDT 2000

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:
>Agreed; there is a small (but apparently growing) number of people
>unhappy with the unprecedented slew of added features to 2.0.  I'm
>particularly irked by weird special cases, like the .setdefault(key,
>default_value) method of dictionaries that was recently added.

My beef is with the new syntax for print.  I don't like new
syntax unless absolutely necessary.  What would have been wrong
with:

    write(sys.stderr, "foo", "bar", "baz")

instead of:

    print >>sys.stderr, "foo", "bar", "baz"

Yuck, it looks like C++ or Perl.  I'm with Andrew on the
setdefault() method as well.

  nas