to close or not to close?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Tue Aug 1 04:05:01 EDT 2000

[François Pinard]
> On this list, I got a kind of guarantee that future CPython will
> stick with reference counting, possibly _complemented_ by more
> traditional mark and sweep.  So, any current clean code will
> continue to work.

If the Python after Python 1.6 is ever released (assuming first that 1.6 is
ever released ...), it will ship with Neil Schemenauer's patch to reclaim
cyclic trash.  This does indeed supplement reference-counting, and your
temp-file closes will continue to work (albeit, just as they do today,
purely by accident <wink>).

bot-of-his-word-ly y'rs  - tim