SMTPlib question

dgreco at atlantic.net dgreco at atlantic.net
Thu Aug 24 15:39:02 EDT 2000

Not sure if this is really a Python question or a sendmail question. I
have written a CGI that takes thousands of email addresses in from a
form and sends emails to them using SMTPlib. Running it from the
command-line, it takes about 5 minutes per 1,000 addresses. Needless to
say, as a CGI, this won't work because the HTTP connection timeouts.
The script works fine for small numbers of addresses.

I imagine it takes so long because the SMTP server (sendmail) it
connects to verifies various info on the email such as the domain for
it. Is this why it is taking so long? What can I do to fix this? I
don't care about verification of the email addresses in anyway- if
there are invalid domains/addresses, they can just get bounced.

~Dave Greco

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.