Python Trademark Status

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sun Aug 27 04:50:40 EDT 2000

David wrote:

> Thus, you are not allowed to use the big yellow M arches for *any* product
> or service, as doing so would imply to the typical consumer that McDonalds
> corporation is the owner or affliate of the product or service.
>
> You *are* allowed to use the name McDonalds for your auto repair shop, as
> the consumer is unlikely to confuse your services with those of the fast
> food franchise.  You are allowed to, that is, if you can afford to maintain
> the lawsuit that McDonald's franchise will inevitably bring to bear against
> you.

So do you think they'll let call my auto repair shop "Kodak", or my new
variety of apples "Xerox", or my new steel I-beams "Kleenex", or my new
programming language "Coca-Cola"?

(or-my-new-breed-of-non-venomous-snake-'Perl'-<wink>)-ly y'rs,

=g2
p.s.  Maybe it's not too late to start calling it "Pyython" (TM)* or
something stupid like that.

*"Pyython" is Iowegian International Corporation's trademark for a
computer programming language which intend to embed in a future
product.  In consideration of his superlative efforts of inventing,
implementing, and popularizing the free "Python" programming language,
Iowegian International Corporation will assign this trademark at no
charge to Mr. Guido van Rossum, or any third party he designates. <0.5
wink>

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com