moving to unicode (was re: PEP)

Warren Postma embed at NOSPAM.geocities.com
Wed Aug 9 10:56:03 EDT 2000

> Another thing that should be borne in mind is that we'll be moving to
> unicode so that other operator notations may in fact be more feasible in
> future eg the symbol character set may have an existence in unicode.
> That would make the symbology easier, but not how to associate such
> symbols with python code.

This scares me more than polluting a nice clean language like Python with
two sets of binary operators.

If someone wants to write their Python code and write their comments and
string literals in Hebrew, then I can see how handy this would be for them,
but I wonder how much complexity it's going to throw on the backs of the
other 90% of the world's developers who are already used to writing and
reading ASCII files exclusively.

Warren Postma