Newbie switching from TCL

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Aug 24 10:19:05 EDT 2000

Alex Martelli wrote:

> "Cameron Laird" <claird at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3799AC8F18F40B22.120B7952059DF9AB.F280265F91BC2016 at lp.airnews.net...
>     [snip]
> > At the same time, Tcl is relatively isolated as a language in
> > its emphasis of event handling.  Most prominent languages today
> > promote threading as a multi-processing mechanism.  This popu-
> > larity in itself constitutes an argument for Python's threading.
>
> "And if everybody else was jumping off a cliff, would you jump
> off a cliff, too"?-)
>
> (P.S.: Visual Basic does allow threading [reluctantly, and only
> in recent releases], but event-handling is definitely at its core;
> considering that it probably has more users than Tcl, Python, and
> any one other scripting language you can name put together, it
> might be considered "prominent"...).
>
> Alex

Or as I sometimes tell classes who insist that Microsoft represents
the only true way "because everybody uses their products":

If six hundred billion flies can't possibly be wrong, why not eat sh*t?

C#?  Just say no.

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/