PYTHON IS CRAP

HanSolo haniff.din at virgin.net
Mon Aug 14 14:53:49 EDT 2000

FAO:arw at pythonpros.com

Hello arw,

   Mmm... I came accross your original article about python, saying
   how great it was, with an example using matrices.
   I've never been able to get into Perl or Tcl, they just seemed like
   to much like hard work.
   Your Matrix example certainly proved a point, to me that it's very
   C like. The structure of the matrix program looked like many c/c++
   programs I'd seen (and written myself with much cut and pasting).
   But, a matrix is a mathematical thing, not a textual thing which
   Perl is good at handling.
   So, perhaps you need an "textual" example and show how much better
   Python is as to Perl.  Perl seems ultra cryptic and compact and
   handling textual stuff.  c, c++ are (and can be) very cryptic.
   So why doesn't someone do away with everything, and just re-compile
    a version of a c++ compiler with a new "textual" type and
   "textual" operators?  At least then we can all just learn one
   bloody language and acutully get good at it..(I have used c
   interpreters before on my Atari ST...)
   Rather than, have to know and use javascript, Java, VB, Jscript, Tcl,
perl, c, c++
   etc.. etc... for web development....
   I really would like a social life with my wife.....!
   Has anyone actually thought about the "legacy" of older languages?
   Rather then just re-invent a new one. I mean COBOL seems like a
   pretty good language to me, why couldn't they just add "textual"
   Perl like additions to that instead, so I'd be able to understand
   the code I'd written a few weeks ago!  Should we just be adding to
   C++ and COBOL and say Lisp.  Do really any more than 3 programming
   languages?  Aren't they just ripping off each other in order to get
   there PHDs?
   Any comments would be appreciated!