Difference between double and single quotes

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Tue Aug 1 17:08:05 EDT 2000

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> They're both interchangeable.  They're used to help with quoting of the
> quotes themselves, viz.:
>
>     '"Buk," said the duck.'
>     "There's a duck here."

For ordinary cases in which one type of quote is _not_ embedded in the
other, which is more common/preferred by most Pythoneers (and perhaps in
Python's library)?  I have generally been using single quotes because I
think they're a little easier on the eyes, but when I switched back to C
recently, I found that I began to make mistakes; that made me think that
it would be better to start using double-quotes for the ordinary cases.

(then-again,-maybe-it-just-doesn't-matter-<wink>)-ly y'rs

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com