Still no new license -- but draft text available

Olivier Dagenais olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM
Tue Aug 15 21:04:05 EDT 2000

> > What the other "different" ways of differentiating yourself from your
> > competitors?  Where can I read up on the "answer of Ford/Lincoln/
> > Mercury"?
> In textbooks about marketing, and specifically that segment of it
> known as brand-building (though not only there).  But why would
> you care...?

Again, as a one-man-band, I (currently) have to research all ramifications
of the software development cycle.  Since the software I am developing is
some sort of "system" (not to use the word "platform"), I am considering
releasing the "system" part of it as open-source, but I don't want anybody
taking it, calling it theirs, selling it and suing me for infringing on
their newly-acquired copyright/patent or some other stupid legal acrobatics
trick that would ruin my business for my trying to be nice.

> If technical support is seen as a profit center, and quality enhancements
> are undesired because of effects on those profits, the company is in
> serious trouble anyway -- competitors with a more flexible attitude and
> higher quality are going to eat its lunch pretty soon, I predict.

Agreed, but you never know with huge companies...

Monopoly-conspiracy-theories-abound-ly y'rs,

Olivier A. Dagenais - Software Architect and Developer
"R is a velocity measure, defined as a reasonable speed of travel
that is consistent with health, mental wellbeing and not being more
than say five minutes late." - Douglas Adams, HHGG, Chapter 34