[Q] Newbie: PIL install for NT works fine but Win98 not...

Greg Landrum glandrum at my-deja.com
Sat Aug 12 10:52:51 EDT 2000

In article <DhHk5.261$xL6.13302 at news3.voicenet.com>,
  "Reader" <nospam at here.com> wrote:
> I am trying to quickly get up to speed on Python for OpenGL
programming.
> One of main obstacles is:

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\PIL\Image.py", line 325, in tostring
>     self.load()
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\PIL\ImageFile.py", line 125, in load
>     self.load_prepare()
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\PIL\ImageFile.py", line 175, in
load_prepare
>     self.im = Image.core.new(self.mode, self.size)
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\PIL\Image.py", line 40, in __getattr__
>     raise ImportError, "The _imaging C module is not installed"
> ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed
>
> The exact same file pil-win32-991101.zip seems to work fine on NT, at
least
> I can get the tostring call to work.  However, my 98 box is not
working.

This sounds to me like it's a PIL installation problem (but then again,
most everything seems to me to be a PIL installation problem ;-).
There are instructions to get PIL working under Windows at URL:
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/view.phtml/aid/1696/fid/238

I hope this helps,
-greg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/