some comments for Python 3000

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 20:35:19 EDT 2000

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <8ncd4a0ih at news1.newsguy.com>,
> Alex Martelli <alex at magenta.com> wrote:
> >
> >In Python I don't have to declare it even once.  In component based
> >development, I prefer to write the declarations anyway, in IDL, after
> >which any decent tool will generate the stubs in whatever language[s] I
> >want to use to implement or consume the interfaces in question.  I like
> >the separation of interface and implementation, which I don't see as
> >"declaring twice".
>
> Interesting.  Bertrand Meyer seems to have a different POV in Software
> Development Magazine, July 2000:
> http://www.sdmagazine.com/uml/beyondobjects/s0007bo.shtml

And he would seem to be correct, too. For example, in C#,
Microsoft automagically generates your COM interfaces for
you. In Java, if you're willing to pay a premium, Voyager
will infer your RMI interface for your Java objects. IDL
fairly well sucks, and not too many people much like it,
IMO. Native language support for component software is the
inevitable wave of the future.

C//