Advice - Learning Python as 1st Programming Language

Wesley J. Chun wesc at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 04:02:27 EDT 2000

In article <rDJj5.3660$KO2.96211 at typhoon.austin.rr.com>,
  "Desmond DSouza" <<first>-<last>@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I am advising a non-programmer on how to get started with
> programming. I
> would like opinions about his learning Python as a 1st programming
> language:

good question.  in fact, the Computer Programming For Everybody (CP4E)
project deals with Python's use in education:

http://www.python.org/sigs/edu-sig/

i am currently an instructor for the University of California, Santa
Cruz Extension system and I teach Python courses among other things
like C and Unix.  in the winter 2000 quarter, we are going to try
something new, that is, teaching Python to people who are complete
newbies to programming period.  if you are interested, contact me.

> - Would it be better from learning perspective than, say, Java or
> Javascript?

Python is more appropriate *programming* language to learn.  JavaScript
is also an object-oriented scripting language, but is currently con-
strained as far as flexibility and execution environment.  Java is also
a good programming language, but forces people to have to program in an
OO fashion from the start.  It's an evolution from C and has a more
difficult syntax than Python.

> - Is there any useful yet simple IDE available for Windows 98?

IDLE comes with both the Unix and Windows versions of Python.
It also works on the Mac as long as you have Tcl/Tk installed.
Another IDE called PythonWin is also available for the Windows
versions of Python .

> - Any way to embed Python in web pages, like JavaScript? Or would he
have to
> learn 2 languages?

"Embedding" Javascript in web pages means client side JavaScript.
Python does not have that ability only due to the fact that such
an integration (putting in Python) must be made on the browser side.

The syntax for JavaScript is similar enough to Python's so that
it really wouldn't be considered "learning another language."

> - Any good libraries for web CGI-like calls to Python (don't really
care at
> this point if it uses CGI-like mechanisms or something more
efficient)?

yes.  the 'cgi' module will do nicely.  it is more efficient in
terms of managing the CGI field data.

> - Any good libraries for working with SQL databases?

plenty.  check this page out, esp. the "Database Modules" link:

http://www.python.org/topics/database/

> - Any good libraries for building things like page template (e.g.
ASP, JSP,

For complex HTML returned via CGI, check out the 'HTMLgen' module:

http://starship.python.net/crew/friedrich/HTMLgen/html/main.html

For even more complicated stuff like the page template stuff you
mentioned, i.a. ASP, JSP, etc., see Zope:

http://www.zope.org

hope this helps!

-wesley

"Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall PTR, TBP Fall 2000
    http://www.phptr.com/ptrbooks/ptr_0130260363.html

Python Books:   http://www.softpro.com/languages-python.html

wesley.j.chun :: wesc at yahoo.com
cyberweb.consulting :: silicon.valley, ca
http://www.roadkill.com/~wesc/cyberweb/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.