Still no new license -- but draft text available

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 2 17:36:19 EDT 2000

[Guido, posting the draft CNRI Open Source license for Python 1.6b1]

> >BY CLICKING ON "ACCEPT" WHERE INDICATED BELOW, OR BY COPYING,
> >INSTALLING OR OTHERWISE USING PYTHON 1.6, beta 1 SOFTWARE, YOU ARE
> >DEEMED TO HAVE AGREED TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE
> >AGREEMENT.

[William Tanksley]
> Why should it be click-through?  Why not just say, "you may not
> use (or copy, etc.) this software outside of the terms of this
> license."  You know, the same way the GPL applies itself.

Billy, I can assure you that CNRI was asked several times whether they
wouldn't please consider removing the click-to-accept stuff.  They want it,
and if you have strong objections to it you're going to have to bring it up
directly with CNRI.  We're not going to refuse the license on this aspect,
because it seems no worse than gratuitous novelty.  If anyone sees a genuine
*showstopper* in this license for their uses of Python, that's something
we'll take very seriously.

sorry-but-while-c.l.py-loves-quibbling-in-this-case-we-can't-
    afford-it-ly y'rs  - tim