gratuitous new features in 2.0

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sun Aug 27 16:56:06 EDT 2000

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> This addition does seem to bring the problems with print as a statement
> to the fore, and I'll remember that for when I ever
> design my own language. Note to self: make print a built-in function
> (or method), not a statement. :)

As you do that, be sure to rembmer another subtle affect of
print-as-a-statement: since it's a "statement" (in Python), it doesn't
appear in the "Built-In Functions" page of the docs!  Instead, it
appears in the Language Reference.  Although its status as a statement
makes that strictly correct, that doesn't help newbies (like me, before
Fred Drake wrote me a nice note explaining the above), who think of it
as a "function"; we think of things with arguments as functions; we
don't notice until later that things without parens are in fact
"statements".  <paper covers rock even though rock smashes scissors and
scissors cut paper>

practicality-beats-purity:-how-about-adding-it-to-the-built-in
   -functions-page?-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com