Shakespeare in PDF from XML

aaron_watters at my-deja.com aaron_watters at my-deja.com
Thu Aug 17 10:36:22 EDT 2000

in reference to
http://www.reportlab.com/shakespeare/

In article <399AA119.EB8462D2 at algonet.se>,
  ath at algonet.se wrote:

> aaron_watters at my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > We took XML source markup to book format PDF documents in
> > one step.  Each play took around 15 seconds.
>
>   They look as if they did, I'm sorry to say. Typography
> by algorithm -- pretty ghastly.
>
>   Some suggestions...

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I agree with them all.
These were tests, and were not intended to be perfect.
For a fee I will be happy to approach perfection.  You correctly
identified many stylistic issues (some of which I might debate
unless you are paying) and some genuine bugs.

I will save your commments and I may revisit the issue if I get
time.

FWIW I do think all of your complaints can be addressed algorithmically
(perhaps with the occasional hint added to the input file).

And yes, taking 15 seconds to format Hamlet is important for
potential customers who may want to format documents on the fly
on the web.

Thanks again,  -- Aaron Watters (cto, ReportLab)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.