BIG problems with Gordon's installer

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Mon Aug 28 19:34:59 EDT 2000

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<string>", line 20, in ?
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\win32\lib\win32evtlogutil.py", line
110, in Form
> atMessage
>     dllHandle, eventLogRecord.EventID, langid,
eventLogRecord.StringInserts)
> TypeError: Inserts must be sequence of UnicodeObjects
>

> What went wrong?  I am aware of problems using pywintypes, so I made
a copy of
> pywintypes15.dll called pywintypes.dll.  My configuration file is

Almost certainly that is what went wrong.

My guess is that your Python process has _2_ copies of pywintypes
around - one i sthe pywintypes15.dll that is _always_ referenced by
the other .pyd files, and renaming the file will not change this.

The other is the file you imported - almost certainly the one you
renamed.

Hence, you have pywintyes15.dll loaded implicitly by win32evtlog.pyd,
and pywintypes.dll loaded explicitly by the "import".

Look for earlier posts of mine on exactly this topic, and it will show
you how to "import pywintypes" while it is still named
"pywintypes15.dll".  If your code never actually imports pywintypes
directly (and you dont use code that does) then there is no need to
take any special action at all.

Just dont rename the .DLL :-)

Mark.