tabs AND spaces to indent standard libs??

Mats Wichmann xyzmats at laplaza.org
Wed Aug 9 11:46:58 EDT 2000

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 20:40:04 GMT, hzhu at localhost.localdomain (Huaiyu
Zhu) wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 15:32:06 GMT, jeffcjohnson at my-deja.com
><jeffcjohnson at my-deja.com> wrote:
>>I use tabs to indent my code, I set my editor to use tab widths of 4.
>>I find it really frustrating when I copy code out of the libraries and
>>it has 4 spaces for the first indent, and a tab for the next to
>>simulate 8 spaces (or the first 4 spaces simulate half a tab?).  I've
>>never looked at tabnanny, maybe then it would all make sense, but first
>>I want to vent... What the hell are people thinking??!!
>>
>>To my way of thinking, if you want to use spaces to indent, use
>>spaces.  I prefer tabs.  But why the hell would anyone want to make the
>>code so incredibly messy by mixing the two.  When I load it into my
>>editor, the indents get really messed up (visually) since my editor
>>shows tabs at width of 4 so they indent at the same level as the 4
>>spaces.
>>
>>Anyone have an explanation for this?  Any chance of getting future
>>coding style guides to use ALL spaces or ALL tabs?

Sigh....

>The explanation is that the coder
>- uses the insane default setting of tab=8
>- prefers the sane indentation of 4 spaces
XXX >- still wants to use tab to help typing
XXX >- but forgets to do untabify afterwards

much more likely, the first two are true, and the editor in
use has internal rules to turn the number of spaces
that equal a tab into a tab automatically...something which
usually can be disabled.

Mats Wichmann

(Anti-spam stuff: to reply remove the "xyz" from the
address xyzmats at laplaza.org. Not that it helps much...)