Still no new license -- but draft text available

Pat McCann thisis at bboogguusss.org
Thu Aug 17 15:26:05 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin <grant.griffin at iowegian.com> writes:

> [ stuff on GPL as virus ]

To be fair, ALL software licenses are viruses because the license
attaches itself to all derivations forever regardless of whether the
license requires attachment of license text.  It's the law.

But the GPL is a nasty virus in that it affects not only the licensor's
IP in the derivative work, but the licensee's IP and his license on his IP.

> One of my small missions in life is to educate the gullible and help them take
> prophylactic measures against this thing; as recent world-wide experiences with both
> biological and computer viruses have shown, it's best for people to individually
> protect themselves from these things before they become an epedimic.  (Too bad
> "McAffee" doesn't work on this one. ;-)

Grant,

I feel the same way, but often loose hope that it's worthwhile.
It appears it won't die out until it kills its hosts.

I'd like to see a non-copyleft open source sub-community form with more
organized effort to promote such software and philosophy.  So far, all
I have is ideas.  (Except I can't come up with a good name for it.)
But I'm not an organizational kinda guy.  Are you?