Still no new license -- but draft text available

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri Aug 4 15:02:47 EDT 2000

[Tim, addressing a paranoia concern <wink> about whether CNRI
 could switch the license yet again between 1.6 and 2.0]
> They could *try* to, sure.  But everyone has been negotiating
> in good faith, and the *agreement* is that if the proposed 1.6
> license is "good enough", BeOpen PythonLabs will release 2.0
> with the exact same (modulo "1.6b1" -> "2.0", and-- I guess --a
> different "handle") CNRI Open Source license.

[some guy with the unlikely name "Guido"]
> Tim, I appreciated and agree with the rest of your post, but I don't
> think that we agreed to release 2.0 with the same style of license.
> I'm personally in favor of the BSD license.
> (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.html)
>
> But either way, 2.0 would be subject to the 1.6 license because it
> is a derivative work.

Ah, *that* "Guido"!  OK, I yield cheerfully.  It's not CNRI that will switch
the license yet again between 1.6 and 2.0, it's us <wink>.

I like the BSD license myself (because I can read it without falling asleep,
and walk away believing I may have understood it), but if its effect is
merely to pile on yet another layer of binding verbiage that has to be
analyzed both on its own and for its possible interactions with CNRI's
still-binding verbiage, what's the benefit (whether to Python users,
developers, CNRI, ...)?  If it's merely that the *first* layer of the
license onion newcomers see then won't scare them to death, I guess that's
reason enough.  Or is there more to it than that?

Another possibility is that we release 2.0 with the BSD license alone, as a
derivative of 1.6a2, which was released at CNRI under the CWI license.  I
believe many posters have had that in mind.  Do correct me if I'm wrong, but
I still believe we've agreed *not* to do that, provided the community can
live with CNRI's new 1.6 license (and that was really what I was trying to
get at-- but garbled badly --in my paragraph at the top).

> (Enjoyed the rest of this thread too but arrived too late to
> participate.)

That's OK -- I arrived too early, and have pretty much hated it.

everything-balances-in-the-end-ly y'rs  - tim