PEP 0214 - extended print statement

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Tue Aug 22 12:19:09 EDT 2000

"thanos vassilakis" <thanos at 0x01.com> wrote in message
news:39A25BC4.A813707C at 0x01.com...
    [snip]
> > Hear, hear.  Python is not and should not be C++.
    [snip]
> Python works. C++ doesn't, hence Java, python, etc. Lets keep it that way.

I could hardly disagree more about the "C++ doesn't" (C++ is what I use
when I need to write a very-high-speed component -- and I think it's by
far the best choice for that purpose), except that I find myself in even
deeper disagreement with the "hence ... python", which implies that, "if
C++ worked", Python would not exist -- i.e., a one-language-for-all-
purposes view of the world.

Fortunately, we need not agree on such extremely fundamental viewpoints
to agree about PEP 0214, apparently.  I.e., add a sys.println function,
or something of the kind, rather than modify/extend the print statement.

Alex