os,access argument problem

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Aug 22 17:56:37 EDT 2000

Bob van der Poel <bvdpoel at uniserve.com> writes:

> I want to test for the existance of a file, so I:
>
> 	 if os.access(newfile, 'F_OK'):
>
> However, I get the error message:
>
> 	TypeError: illegal argument type for built-in operation

os.access takes the arguments (path, mode).  Mode should be a numeric
file mode , so the TypeError is because you are trying to supply a
string.

If you just want to test for existence, use 0 (numeric) for the mode.

You can use the symbolic values (e.g., "F_OK") but you need to use
them as defined by the os module, for example:

	os.access(newfile,os.F_OK)

if you print it out, you'll find that os.F_OK is defined as 0.

--
-- David